Monday 8 June 2009

Banks Jim but not as we know them

This lunchtime I went to HSBC to pay in some cheques. I was struck by the number of employees just standing round and smiling at people. There must have been at least a dozen. They had 4 machines for paying in cheques but they were all in use and there was a queue. I went downstairs to the counter where there was no queue and the chap just did a bit of stamping and the deed was done. And there was music interspersed with bank messages like “Don’t hesitate to ask a member of staff for advice”. It reminded me of The Truman Show for some reason.

1 comment:

  1. Curious. I just went to the Post Office to send a letter by recorded delivery and was struck by the number of customers standing around looking vaguely irritated by the small number of cashiers looking extremely overworked.

    ReplyDelete